Friday, August 14, 2009

Marley and Me: A Review from an Anti-Critic


Let's just say that while I am not overly critical, I certainly appreciate a good piece of literature, and am aware of a bad one. That being said, I am able to enjoy a book for what it is- simple or complex, smart or easy, deep or trashy... whatever..
I recently finished Marley and Me by John Grogan. I did not see the movie, as many have, but certainly went in eyes wide open. (The dog dies people...I mean, hellooo...) So, I was prepared for that. I was prepared for the tears that so many said to expect... "oh, I won't tell you what happens, but I CRIED SO HARD"... The tears came, while alone on a plane at night. The little kid next to me looked sweetly concerned, but did not ask.
In a nutshell, I really enjoyed this book. It was an easy read. So easy that I left it for about a month and dove right back into it. I felt that yes, this book is about a crazy hysterical dog, but more about life. The joys, heartbreaks, obstacles, humor. I think I was literally shaking my head in agreement at a couple chapters as Mr. Grogan described things...
I would definitely recommend this book to anyone at all really. Single, no kids? You'll relate. Married starting a family? Definitely! Those later in life? You'll love the story.
Life changing? No (well maybe in some ways, I heart my dog more now, despite his idiosyncrasies). A literary masterpiece? No. Heartwarming? Yes. That was enough for me.

1 comment:

Holly said...

My husband wants a puppy and I've told him we can't get one until he watches the movie (Ihaven't seen it) or maybe I'll just get him to read the book. Enjoyed your review! And I'm glad you like my blog :) Yours is pretty great!