Tuesday, October 13, 2009

"Don't postpone joy until you have learned all of your lessons. Joy is your lesson."- Alan Cohen

While browsing through Target, I was cutting across the full price section to the clearance section and saw they got a new line of inspirational jewelery.
Here is the one that caught my attention.


"joy: a state of being in perpetual elation"

How nice. How unrealistic.

But the way I choose to understand joy is not a perpetual state of elation. Not at all. We all have our moments that are sheer elation. We all have our people who fill us with happiness, love, and excitement. But, true joy, to me, is an inner gift only given by God. Having this joy gets you through the times where life is anything but perpetual elation. Having joy brings people through trials and grief, through loss and challenges. And, joy does not always mean having a smile on your face and soaring through life. I am not a person in a perpetual state of elation. Far from it. But I have joy because of the Spirit of God in me. Even when I don't feel it, it's there.

Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds. James 1:2

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Galatians 5:22-23

"Participate joyfully in the sorrows of the world. We cannot cure the world of sorrows, but we can choose to live in joy."
-Joseph Campbell

2 comments:

Corrie said...

Good thought! I guess perpetual elation would be nice...but too unrealistic.

Jenn said...

As always, well put.

I have nominated you for an award...don't feel obligated to participate if you'd rather not, just know I love your stuff!