Thursday, December 3, 2009

"Trim"ming the Tree



Well the Christmas tree is up and the season is kicking into full gear! I do love Christmas, it's always a great time. However, working in my field there is often a great deal of pain, sadness, and need that emerges too. Holidays are tough times for those who have been through a lot.
In our family, we've really trimmed down our exchanging. And, I am having no regrets. Sure, we picked up a few small things for each of the boys. I do love their faces when they see something for the first time. Paul and I opted out of gift giving. I mean, honestly I cannot remember the last time we needed something and did not just buy it. For that, I feel blessed. And, at times even overwhelmed but our possessions. Also. we've got small budgets set for the immediate family and are sticking to them.
This feels more right to me than extravagant Christmases of the past.
There will be shopping, though. Shopping for a 6 year old boy, size 7. And his mom, who seems to have few nice things- maybe a soft blanket and something to pamper herself with?
Mostly, though, I want my kids' first responses to what Christmas is all about to be "Jesus", not "Santa". I mean, Santa is cool and all, but c'mon... let's not forget the reason for the season!

1 comment:

Corrie said...

Jesus...good thinking. Hopefully we haven't forgotten.