Thursday, April 14, 2011

Can Someone Get Me An Easy Button for Explaining Easter???

Christmas.. Jesus' birthday. Born as a baby in a manger. Wise men visited, gave gifts. Kids get that pretty good, even with the whole Santa debacle. At least you can tie in the gifts to Jesus' birthday while still doing the whole Santa thing.

Easter... It's just darn hard to explain And I am a horrible explainer, and love opportunity to say "because I said so". There has been a lot of excitement around her derived from school parties and candy overload... about the Easter Bunny and Easter candy. I love the Easter Bunny and am not opposed to that fun, but as we know this holiday is the holiday that defines it all.
Since last year, they for sure do not remember our conversations about the real meaning of Easter. I am not sure they "got it" then, or would "get it" now, but I tried. Here's how it went:
Me: Hey Adam, did you know that Easter is about Jesus and that he died for our sins and is alive again"?
Adam: Mom, don't you think Jesus, Noah, and God look alike? They are the same, except Jesus did not put the animals on the ark". (me, condsidering if now was the time to get into the Trinity... nah...)
Zachary "I'm hungry"
Me: "Yes Adam, they do. Did you know that Easter is here for us to celebrate Jesus rising from the grave after he died on the cross for our sins, like what we read in the Bible?"
Adam: "Well, that sounds tricky"
Me: "Yes, it was, God helped him"
Adam: "Hmmm, I wonder who would win, Jesus, God, or a pirate"
Me: "Jesus"
***SIGH***
Enter Veggie Tales "Twas the Night Before Easter".... it will leave you singing "When I think about Easter, I think about God's love...", and is unapologetically Christian and kid friendly, all while diving into the real meaning of Easter.

3 comments:

Corrie said...

There are also cool resurrection eggs. You can even make them at home. :o)
Good luck. When you find out the answers let me know.

Maureen said...

You got it...so they will...when they are older :)

Stephanie said...

You are too funny! The closest I got with explaining Easter to Alexander was reading "The Easter Story" kids book that Eileen got him. For a two year old I guess that is good enough! Easter baskets ie: candy and toys, are a tad more understandable to him this year!