Sunday, May 22, 2011

Sugar and Spice- Not Me

I was a Hulkamaniac


Most little girls of the eighties loved their My Little Ponies, Barbies, and jellies. While I did indulge in the occasional hair brushing and galloping, my true love (obsession?) was WWF Wrestling, in the days before the bikini's and smut. On my wall, rather than Tiffany or Debbie Gibson posters were Miss Elizbeth (not Scary Sherry) and the Rockers (sigh... Marty Jannetty...) I used to live for Saturday morning wresting, wondering who was going to run out unexpectedly and smash someone with a metal chair, or who was going to convert from "good" to "bad" in some conspiracy with Bobby the Brain Heenan, or if another kid would think my dad was Hulk Hogan while at Dee Dee's Dairy... how cool. My favorite tee shirt was not the pink ruffled one, but the bright red Tito Santana tee (featured in all New Year's 1989 photos, wish I could share...)My nightmares did not consist of Freddy Kreuger, but of Brother Love and The Undertaker. I started plotting my next pay per view location for Wresltemaina or a steel cage match immediately following the one I just saw.

I am ashamed to say I once stole a WWF magazine from 7-11 with Ted DeBiase and the Million Dollar Belt on the cover... I got caught, but that's something for another blog post.

When Miss Elizabeth and Macho Man got married at Summer Slam in 1991, I swooned more than most girls did over Joey McIntyre at that time... wondering if I could one day rock the pink leotard and find a guy who could pull of the fringe leather jacket like no other... And the times I went to the Niagara Falls Convention Center to see WWF live are days I will never forget...I remember constantly asking my parents if it was real... it was sure real to me!


R.I.P. Macho Man

1 comment:

Marisa said...

this literally almost made me cry...we had fun loving our wrestlers!