Thursday, October 6, 2011

You Won't Forget Precious Jones.


There are certainly some unforgettable book characters in my memory... Olive from Olive Kitteridge, Minny Jackson from The Help, Katniss Everdeen from The Hunger Games, Enzo the dog from The Art of Racing in the Rain...and I certainly could go on...
But,there are none who will stay with me as much as Clarice "Precious" Jones, the main character in Sapphire's novel, Push.
How can it be described?


Gut wrenching, graphic, devastating.
Heartwarming, encouraging, enlightening.


Yes, all of these things.

It's also worth mentioning that this was my first audio book. It wasn't 5 minutes into my drive to my first day at my new job when tears were streaming down my face. I wore foundation for Pete's sake. I hate foundation. By the time I was at work it was all streaky and weird...
The story, narrated in a very believable voice, really touches you while leaving you stunned at what this character endures. Though a novel, I am sure there are stories out there of kids that have been through similar stories. Heck, I've met a few of them in my career...
The story is as follows- you have a young girl who has every social, physical, emotional, and economical disadvantage one can have. It's her story of how she "plays the hand she's dealt" (my favorite line from the book) and comes out on the other side.
Read it, but be prepared- it's not for the fainthearted. It's not an easy read, but I sometimes find these reads necessary to center myself, regain perspective, and just plan be real. I have not seen the movie, and I'm not sure I will, but I have heard it's also quite touching.

No comments: