Wednesday, December 11, 2013

These are a few of my favorite things...

Inspired by my friend Jessica, who suggested our annual pre-k mom's (well, now second grader moms, ugh) ugly sweater ornament exchange party include a favorite things aspect.  The seven of us all bring four wrapped gifts containing the same item- one of our favorite things.
We then shuffle them around, and we all wind up with four of the others' favorites to try.  Fun, huh?
Here's some of my favs, all under $10.

1. Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion: It's the only one that can affect my winter dryness- especially around my ankles this time of year! It is the one moisture product I can count on.  Available anywhere for around $6.00. I got the 2 large bottle pack at Sam's for $9.00 using a $3.00 instant savings last time.  It's worth noting that while it works well, the skin relief lotion with the blue on the label initially burns my ultra sensitive skin.  I like the original, shown below.













2. The Whip by Karen Kondazian.  $5.99 for Nook, or better yet free at the library.  This book needs you to honor the 50 page rule, as it has a slower start but really picks up.  I am not one who's into Wild West type stuff, but this was a pleasant surprise. I am becoming a fan of historical fiction thanks to my friend Marie who always chooses one when it's her pick at our book club.  Some other historical fiction that really caught my interest was The Guernsey Literary Potato Peel Pie Society, Sarah's Key, Shanghai Girls, and The Bungalow.













3. Great app for your beginner reader: Endless Reader by Originator.  Free to start, but add ons extra.  Great for sight words, word sounds, and early reading. Also helpful to engage my extremely competitive, perfectionist (if he weren't the only baby at the hospital and my clone, I'd wonder...) five year old while his big brother works on his mounds of homework.











4. Harney and Sons Hot Cinnamon Spice Tea. I purchase at Barnes and Noble for $9.99, but with a coupon get it usually for $7.  The scent of this tea alone is enough to be hooked, and it's super cinnamony and flavorful.  Leave a tea bag in your desk drawer at work and it's better than any candle.  Even my super traditional, Canadian-Red-Rose Tea only in-laws took a liking to this.  Try it.













5. I tend to think I like yogurt, buy it, then balk when it comes time to eat it.  Even more so with Greek Yogurt.  But I know it's healthy and a good source of protein, so Chobani helps me out here with their Almond Choco Loco... $1.50 at Target, have seen at Aldi as well.













6. Elf Zit Zapper.  $1.00, Target.  I don't break out to the point where I need a daily acne product, but I do like to have one on hand just in case.  This provides a nice little dab as needed and has the same ingredient as the expensive stuff.













8. Cartwheel by Target & Target RED Debit Card. .  Cartwheel Free App for great additional Savings at Target. .  I don't add deals until I am in the store getting what I need, so I am not tempted to buy items just because I have a coupon.  Luckily, Cartwheel has a discount for just about everything I buy, sometimes the exact item, sometimes one close enough.  5% here and there adds up, and they offer up to 50% at times on certain things.  Cartwheel can be used with manufacturer and Target coupons, so in theory you could get triple savings.  Also free (to sign up) is the Target RED Debit Card.  This is not the credit card- but a card linked to your checking with a pin and cash back option.  This is a no brainier to me- it allows you to get an additional 5% off all orders, free shipping online with no minimum, and 30 days longer on returns.  No credit card.  No interest.  Just like paying cash, but with perks.













9. Tim Hortons Decaf KCups- $8.99 for 12.  Available in store or here for you unlucky folks who live where you have to endure Dunkin Donuts daily.   I hate decaf.  But these easily pass as the real deal.  Now I can enjoy a coffee after dinner without worrying if I will have to be like Chandler Bing in Friends- falling asleep at a meeting after being up all night then agreeing to move to Tulsa because he wasn't paying attention.














10. Method Fabric Softener Spray.  All the research I have seen regarding the carcinogens and chemicals in fabric softener sheets left me no choice than to say goodbye to my beloved blue sparkle Snuggle.  Dryer balls were useless to me.  So I am now using Method Fabric Softener Spray.  It's plant based and dryer activated, and smells fresh.  $6.00 for 100 loads,Target or Amazon.













11. Sally Hansen Maximum Growth Treatment.- when I started growing my nails I noticed that at a certain point they would start peeling at the ends.  Being a lifelong nail biter this was sooooo hard for me to avoid picking or peeling.  This product reinforces the nail, hardens and seals them.  I usually do a coat a day for a week, as the package instructs, then resume with polish after the treatment. I found it 75% off at Walgreens, so it was $1.25, but normally it's in the $5 range.













No comments: