Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Homemade Febreze


In a house with 2 little boys and a dog, occasionally (read: regularly) things just aren't as fresh as I'd like. This is especially true this winter, which has been relentless, wet, dingy, and closed up. The kind where you're in sweats by five pm and leaving the house isn't even a thought unless absolutely necessary.

Cleaning is constant with all that's tracked in-salt, boot marks, dog paw prints. Febreze is a help on the area rugs and dog bed between washings. But, the smell of commerical Febreze isn't always my favorite, and it's expensive.
So I made my own. I tried at one point following some internet concoctions
with baking soda in the mix, but it clogged the spray bottle. This mix seemed to work.

Using an empty spray bottle
- one lid full of your favorite liquid fabric softener (Method brand is a nice chemical free option)
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
-fill the rest with warm water
That's it!
You may smell the vinegar when you spray, but it will fade as it deodorizes and leave the slight smell of your softener.

Might be a nice option until those windows can be open to let the much awaited spring air in!

1 comment:

Jenn said...

I keep wondering how well those 'homemade febreeze' recipes work! You've inspired me to try. Just picked up some old school Downy (my favourite smell!) and I'm about to whip up a batch. :)