Sunday, July 5, 2015

6 things for 6 months...




Wow, a solid 6 months have passed since I last blogged. Crazy how the days pass so fast. I know I will regret not documenting more if these last months, especially being that it's the baby's first year.
So, to get back into my routine I am going to try to highlight the last 6 months in 6 bullets without begin obnoxious!
  •  I went back to work, as expected, in early December.  Only this time, to a top performing city school as opposed to the lowest performing inner city schools I am used to (same district ,same job, different school).  There's nothing like hitting the ground running... but it's been great! Different, refreshing, but certainly challenging. I am blessed to have a job I love that allows ample family time and a lot of time off.  I set personal goals to educate myself further on Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) to help my work with the special program I am a part of.  Turns out, my students are teaching me more than I could ever read up on. Kudos to the Mister for handling all things morning with 3 kids as I sneak out for work just as everyone is getting up. There wasn't one bus missing incident that I know of.  It's a tough task for a multitasker, which he is not. Bonus for me- no formula stains on my shoulder at work.   
  •   Christmas maintained its magic in the Vinkle house. Wide eyed believers made the morning and all that led up to it magical.  I cringe knowing that at least for the big boys, this time of belief is getting small. Surely we will enjoy it while it lasts!  But, I look forward to doing it all over again with a wide eyed little boy. The boys BOTH made it to see the ball drop and ring in 2015.  For anyone who knows us well knows that it's next to impossible for Adam to make it that late, so we enjoyed the occasion. 
  • January and February (and let's be honest, March) brought the coldest and most brutal winter days Buffalo has ever know.  It truly was the longest winter ever.  The kind of days where the thought of walking to your car almost makes you (almost) want to stay late at work.  The kind of days where leaving the house is out unless absolutely necessary.  Where extra circulars are put on hold just due to the craptastic blast that awaits you out the front door.   So, my book recommendations are as follows: The Rosie Project (Don Tillman), The Invention of Wings (Sue Monk Kidd), Big Little Lies (Laine Moriarty), Girl on the Train (Paula Hawkins), and State of Wonder (Ann Patchett)... socks, blankets, books- sums up the winter. 
  • The spring brought my blue eyed boy's birthday- which also remains magical.  Never mind the birthday- it's birthday month! Hard to believe that curly haired, silly kid is now a seven year old second grader. Some things I just love about him- his writing (best writers voice ever), his jokes, his determination to fit in with the "big boys", and his take no crap attitude- he's his own person!   The baby begins his adventure into mobility which involved a hilarious version of the worm.  The home renovation itch that typically accompanies spring hits and I begin by pulling a mirror off the wall to get the ball rolling.  Now, to get these projects finished while accommodating my champagne taste on a beer (well, craft beer) budget. 
  • May and into June was a busy time! Paul tuned 36 and we added Allen St. Poutine Company to our fun eats list.  It was so Canadian, complete with All Dressed chips and Aero Bars.  The baby was dedicated on Mother's Day, we celebrated 12 years married with a great meal at the Griffon Pub, and enjoyed another "staycation" at Jellystone. Weplanted, lost (due to frost), and replanted our gardens, and opened the pool.   My recreational reading was replaced with study materials as I prepared to take my LCSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker) exam.  I am proud to say I passed with flying colors, and IT"S OVER! So, now I can get to The Secret Life of Violet Grant (Beatriz Williams), To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee), The Great Gatsby (F. Scott Fitzgerald) , and The Percy Jackson Series (Rick Riordian). Sounds kind of like a summer reading list, so we will see.... 
  • Teacher Christmas arrived on June 25th. Summer is here! I now officially have a second and fourth grader.  We rang it in by planning a pool party for Adam's 9th birthday.  Sadly, 58 degrees and raining sideways isn't conducive to swimming, so we had to move it inside.  He took it like a champ and having 15 boys indoors went much more smoothly than I planned.  This kid continues to amaze me with his dry wit, concern for others, and insight of an eighty year old (he's our old soul, for sure).  Our bucket list for the summer includes  enjoying as many free and fun activities as possible- and being tourists in our own backyard. Ideas include Buffalo's Canalside and Outer Harbor, day trips to playgrounds or spray parks, Niagara Falls State Park... and who knows what else. So, that's it in a nutshell... more to come. 
Some highlights- snow, snow, and more snow, Christmas, Zachary opens gifts with friends, Great Wolf, and Allen St. Poutine
PJ's dedicaiton,  Zachary's last day of Sidway, Jellystone, Adam's 9th with a photobomb, and my time warp twins Adam and PJ 

The big boys ring in the new year, but not the baby! Half crawl, half walk, new kitchen floor, on our 12th anniversary, and the cutest little guy I know... 
                            

No comments: