Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Easy, Versatile Mac Salad- With Flavor!

It's summer and cooking out and eating late are the status quo around here.  With so much fresh stuff available, I don't make a huge deal out of dinner- something on the grill, a salad, and side of some kind. A traditional mac salad is nice to have on hand- lasts a few days, easy to grab, and a general crowd pleaser.  And, many of the ingredients are those you will have on hand.
Expect when it's not because it has no flavor.
Follow this "recipe", really more of a method, for flavorful traditional mac salad.  Pardon my lack of exact measurements, it's just the way I do things (well, the wayI copy my mom, really).  

Summer Mac Salad 
You Need: 
1/2-1 lbs elbow macaroni (any type, regular, whole grain, etc)- depends on how much you want/need. 
Bottled Italian dressing (trust me, nothing fancy here. I love making my own for salads, but go simple and used the cheap bottled stuff.  This is your secret ingredient)
Veggies- chopped celery, carrot, red and green pepper (onion if you like, I don't)- whatever you have and prefer, really
Mayo 
Tuna (optional, I only use when I know we're eating it all that day) 
Salt and Pepper 

Boil macaroni.  Drain and add to large bowl, cover hot macaroni with a few turns of the Italian dressing and toss.  It should be coated, but not sopping- probably around 1/4 cup, maybe a little more .   Add salt & pepper to taste, and veggies.  Place in fridge to chill for a while.  It doesn't have to be cold, but once the heat subsides, take it out and add the mayo.  I'd start with about 1/2 cup- mix and see if it's to your liking.  Keep adding by the spoonful until it's how you like it in terms of mayo.  I don't like a lot myself, but some people like mayonnaisey salads.  I probably use about 3/4-1 cup per pound of pasta.  The mayo will absorb some too, so keep that in mind.  Chill in fridge and let flavors come together.  Add more mayo if needed before serving. Enjoy! 


No comments: