Monday, October 6, 2014

Salads in a jar


The girl without an ounce of craftiness made something cool. And tasty. Even while home on maternity leave making lunches is the bane of my existence. So enter these salads my friend Faith was raving about.  In a jar.  Yes, including the dressing.  Sounds weird and soggy- it's not. It's really about the method. There's millions of suggested recipes out there. I made them 3 days ago and my salad was extremely fresh today. I think it's the seal of the mason jar that keeps things fresh. 
Ok so here's what you need: 
Mason jars- pint and a half wide mouth made a large, meal sized salad. I got mine at Tops. 
Bottom layer: Dressing of choice (2 tablespoons. It's plenty. Vinaigrettes come out easier but creamy dressings are fine) 
Next: hearty veggies (basically anything but lettuce)  these will touch the dressing obviously, but they hold up well and even kind of marinate a bit. 
Next: proteins, cheese, beans, grains or pasta (your choice. I used feta/chicken/garbanzo in this one) 
Next: lettuces 
Cover with ring and seal. Leave upright in fridge.  Grab, go, and turn upside down on plate for lunch.  

1 comment:

Jenn said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE making salads in a jar. Ok...well, I don't LOVE making anything, but I love having them made in the fridge to grab and eat.